Advanced search

Grants and Scholarships

How to fund your studies

Funding your Master's: Scholarships of excellence

For all students enrolling in a Master's degree

The ENS de Lyon and its partners offer scholarships (Ampère & MILYON Scholarships) for excellent international students to enrol in its Masters programs in the Exact Sciences, the Arts, and Human and Social Sciences (except FEADép Master's programs).
The mention "open to international students" is added for the masters that can provide it, with the requested level of languages.

Ampère Scholarships of Excellence

MILYON Scholarship

Call for application 2019-2020: opening on November 21, 2018, 12 noon (Time at Lyon, France)

  • Complete and submit the online form
  • Documents to be uploaded on the online form:
    • Two referee forms from professors who have close knowledge of your work: download the referee evaluation form
    • Motivation Letter
    • Curriculum Vitae
    • Certified copies of University degrees, in French or in English (ex: Bachelor degree)
    • A transcript of your grades for your past and present studies, in French or in English
    • If you are applying for a Master’s program in the Arts, Humanities, Languages or Social Sciences:
      • a summary of your research project in French (3 pages maximum)
        the reasons underlying the choice, the justification in relation to previous research in the same field (whether personal or not), methodological direction, an indicative bibliography, a list of personal publications or participations in colloquia (if applicable)
      • a certificate of Proficiency in French: DALF, DELF, TCF. If you are comng from a French Speaking country (list),you can join a letter in French that explain this part
    • If you are applying for admission in the Exact Sciences: a certificate of Proficiency in French (DALF, DELF, TCF) and in English (IELTS or TOEFL).
      If you don't speak French, please join a letter stating this point.
The results will be available on February, 2019.
If your application is accepted, you will receive a letter of pre-enrolment and the procedures to be followed for enrolment.
Students coming from a country with CEF procedure will receive afterwards instructions to register via Campus France. Furthermore, ENS de Lyon shall inform directly Campus France too.

Funding your PhD

Various grants and contracts can help students fund their PhD.

Doctoral contracts
A doctoral contrat is a three-year employment contract under which an institution selects and hires a student to undertake doctoral studies. There are no conditions in terms of age or nationality.
[More on the doctoral school's websites]

Co-funding for doctoral studies
International doctoral students wishing to enrol in a doctoral program at the ENS de Lyon can apply for co-funding of up to 50 percent of the amount required for enrolment. This scholarship granted by the ENS de Lyon for the duration of the doctoral program (3 years maximum). In the case of internationally co-directed doctoral theses (cotutelles internationales), the scholarship will only be paid during the months of presence at the ENS de Lyon. The amount of funding will be adjusted each year according to the external (main) funding obtained.

CIFRE (Industrial Convention for training through Research)
This convention brings together a company, a student, and a research laboratory. The PhD student is recruited and employed by the company with no conditions regarding nationality or area of research. See ; ANRT : National Association of Technological Research)

Foundation and association grants
These are common in medical research. Candidates must apply for funding themselves. The funding usually requires the signature of an employment contract between the institution (or research institution) and the doctoral student.

Research grants
This type of funding, awarded to a team to support a research project, involves an employment contract between the institution (or research institute) and the PhD student. To find out more, visit the doctoral schools' and research laboratories' websites. Some examples:

Other grants

For all students enrolling in a Master's degree or in a PhD

Normalien Status

If you are recruited through the competitive entrance exam, you will benefit from the specific "Normalien" status:
  • For citizens of the European Union or the European Economic Area: 1,500€/month salary for 4 years
  • For students from other countries- the best candidate in each "série de concours": 1,000€/month grant for 3 years

Contact us

Office of International Affairs
Phone: +33 4 37 37 66 82
Fax: +33 4 37 37 63 60


ENS de Lyon
15 parvis René Descartes - BP 7000
69342 Lyon Cedex 07 - FRANCE
Descartes Campus : +33 (0) 4 37 37 60 00
Monod Campus : +33 (0) 4 72 72 80 00

Contact us

Stay connected